The Feed: Is Art School Worth The Price? Pt 1

GET TO THE POINT @ 2:50
(We hope our onscreen antics are a refreshing break from the rigors of creative business. Regardless, we value your time!)

Pt 2:

Chris Do and Jose Caballer join us again on The Feed to discuss the overall impact the pursuit of higher education has on creatives seeking to hone their craft. College is quickly becoming a highly controversial topic for those looking to establish themselves in any given professional field with regards to results and yields, and art school is undoubtedly at the top of that list.

So if not college, then what? The extremely high cost of modern universities feels so prohibitive, but how else can a young creative get access to the skills and human resources that are required to get a job or work in today’s highly competitive creative marketplace. Many attend schools (not The Skool!) and still struggle to find decent work afterward, instead electing to take low-paying jobs in retail or the service industry just to survive.

Believe it or not, there are plenty of alternatives. Mentorship, apprenticeship, online classes, and personal/professional networking can all provide you the same benefit at a fraction of the price. You just have to be willing to learn independently and become the self-taught success story.

Annotations:

00:50 Q: Is there a better way to get an education?
01:50 Q: If you were able to network before going to design school, would enrolling have mattered?
03:47 Breakdown: The price of a design school education
06:01 Jose’s POV: Learn UX/UI, Take Design Courses a la carte and get a studio apprenticeship.
06:20 Chris’s POV: Become a lifetime learner & seek mentors.

SUBSCRIBE to get the latest #TheProcess:

Special thanks to our sponsors:

Shutterstock –
Media Temple –
This is Ground –

_________________________________________________
Listen to the Futur podcast on iTunes:

Android Stitcher:

Google Play:

HOW TO SUPPORT THE FUTUR:
Purchase a Kit:
subscribe to the secret and private Master mind group on FB with bi-weekly webinars & exclusive videos not released anywhere else.

Music on the show from Art-list.io

Use our Amazon Affiliate Link:

Buy useful design tools from Creative Market:

Get your business cards printed at Moo:

_________________________________________________

Need brand strategy help?
Visit Blind LA’s WEBSITE:
Design of Business Linkedin Group:

Jose Caballer:
Chris Do:

Purchase a CORE Kit:

1. Ashley Goes Global

May 10, 2017 8:06 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS TOPIC! THIS IS THE CRISIS FOR OUR GENERATION!
    I was considering getting a SECOND degree to go after my passion (which I didn't do the first time) But I cannot justify being over $100K in debt and spending my prime years in school. I definitely do NOT want to graduate at 34 and be drowning in debt.

2. J Panda

May 10, 2017 8:06 pm

What I've observed here in my country is that parents forces their kids to school, whatever course it may be, just to get a diploma. They don't really consider talking one on one with their child and hearing what he/she may want to do. And what ends up happening is usually after graduation those students would look for a lower wage jobs that are not in sync of what they their education and use the diploma as a "plus points" just to get hired. And it's really sad. Parents spent so much money just to have their kids work at a gas station(Im not trying to underestimate anyone).

3. Jaylen Fast

May 10, 2017 8:06 pm

But how does this change for a Master's degree? I am finishing my communication design degree and want to go straight into a master's to set myself up for the future. My current tuition is rather cheap and I can't justify taking a loan for even 25k!

4. Edwin Contreras

May 10, 2017 8:06 pm

It's not worth it if you're disciplined enough to do all the research yourself to find all the online resources, books, whatever you need. If you have the discipline to do that, what you can do is to look for the job you want and read the job description. Look at the responsibilities and the qualifications needed. That's the list of what you need to learn.

5. Manny Donaire

May 10, 2017 8:06 pm

There are many things that being self taught can't give you: Feedback on your projects from classmates and instructors. You don't get to see what goes on it a 'crit'. Another thing if your self-taught is that you don't get taught in how to present your work. Lastly, being self taught doesn't give you experience working on team projects/assignments.

Love the videos, but let's admit it, there's a lot of bias on your vids towards Art Center, Cal Arts, and Otis. Personally I think Otis is good, but 'overrated'. Other good private colleges/art schools are: CCA, Academy of Art, SVA, Parsons, RISD, and MICA… I'm sure there's more to add.

You can get a good education from other colleges/universities with a reputable design program that won't cost an arm and a leg: SJSU (they teach Swiss design), Univ. Tex.(san marcos), Tenn. State, CSULB (they're an all around design program and offer a few advertising classes in the program, as well as concept development).

6. Jacob Ferguson

Any recommendations for private design schools in Germany? 🙂

7. Devin Pabingwit

May 10, 2017 8:06 pm

What about the kids like myself that entered whatever school they could get into at the time and now have realized their potential as designer but not before accumulating over 95k in debt? I now feel that I have to design the way others want in order to make money. I no longer have the luxury of "doing things my way".

8. Jasmine Mangual

May 10, 2017 8:06 pm

Omg I love the playful flukes of this. It's good to be able to laugh and learn like this because the information becomes better engraved into my grey matter lol

9. Andres Rivera

May 10, 2017 8:06 pm

I agree with Chris.  You don't really need to go to art school to become a successful designer and artist.  I am at this point still paying the tuition that for some how doesn't seem to go down.  Art School is over rated.  They just want your money! The teaching is so boring and you really don't need all that crap.  If you want to learn design – design,  if you want create fine art pieces – create.  Yes, there are some stuff you need to learn, but you can get that from books., other artist.  Join an Atelier.  They are so much better.

By the way, Parson, The New School of Design in New York is more expensive than Art Center

DEGREE PROGRAM TUITION (PER TERM) TUITION (PER CREDIT)
    AAS $21,040 (12-19 credits) $1,430
    BBA $21,040 (12-19 credits) $1,430
    BFA $21,040 (12-19 credits) $1,430
    Parsons/Lang BA/BFA $20,275 (12-21 credits) $1,380
    BA, BS Urban Design $21,040 (12-19 credits) $1,430
    Graduate (except MFA Photography) $21,585 (12-19 credits) $1,520
    MFA Photography N/A $1,350

10. Jose Caballer

May 10, 2017 8:06 pm

For full disclosure – I have young family members who are very talented – and I do recommend that they go to the BEST art schools possible. For example, my cousin in Florida (He knows who he is.) His talents are writing and drawing (and a few others) – He wants to do animation or something in that vain.

I recommend that he goes to Cal-Arts in California or RISD in Rhode Island. Why? Cal-Arts – Simple – Disney created Cal-Arts to train their future talent. eg. John Lasseter current head of Disney animation. RISD is a great school also and Seth Macfarlane the creator of Family Guy went there. One thing that makes the schools good for someone with multiple talents is that they have animation, design, music and theatre programs in the same schools – giving someone the opportunity to both collaboration with peers in those programs and also take classes in those programs.

Because animation is such a specialized field and few really ever become professionals and successful I recommend this approach.

Thoughts?

11. nodws

Short answer: NO

12. Itumeleng Madisha

May 10, 2017 8:06 pm

Hi guys, I think todays resources can enable someone to learn a lot of things without the formal school.
    E.g. I studied accounting only to realise it was not good way to go. I then started learning web design on my own. now i'm running a rapidly growing business.
    and The Skool had a lot to do with it..