Mercury Outboard Motor Stator and Switchbox output check with DVA Meter (Peak Reading)

With a Fluke Meter set on DC Voltage equipped with a DVA or Peak Reading Adapter, stator and pack output can be quickly checked. It takes 150+ volts supplied to the coils from the switchbox to fire off the standard Mercury coils. It can be seen here that the stator and switchbox are producing about 250 volts while running, which means for the most part the stator and switchbox are doing their job. The motor is actually just barely running and will die when put in gear and power up is attempted. Well, if the pack and stator are good what next?
Trigger sends a pulse to the pack to tell it when to fire. As can be seen in my next video there is a triggering problem. Triggers are solid state and rarely defective, and many times overlooked as a problem.
The DVA on the trigger was checked and was withing normal limits, but I did a few more simple checks to show that the trigger was in fact defective.

Please check with us for your used parts needs, as we part out boats and motors on a daily basis. All of the parts we sell have been used in freshwater only. Please check with your local mechanic to clarify that this is the correct part you need. Most of the parts listed here have many more pictures available upon request.

If you would like to purchase this or any other part we will put it on our website for immediate purchase through PayPal or credit card. We understand that it’s unconventional to purchase items from youtube, so please note the 100% positive feedback on both of our eBay usernames: shipshapeparts and shipshape8968804.

All of the parts we sell are represented thoroughly and accurately to the best of our ability. We gladly accept full returns if you feel a part was misrepresented. No returns on electrical components, as they are all tested and working properly when they leave our location.

Feel free to visit our web site: ShipShapeTN.Com
Send us an email: ShipShape@Bellsouth.Net or
Give us a call: 615-459-7202!

We are Ship Shape Marine
1323 South Lowry Street
Smyrna, Tennessee 37167

Thanks for your interest!

1. Eliot Creel

May 19, 2017 10:44 pm

100hp, I'm leaning toward switch box, not sure though

2. 95rman

May 19, 2017 10:44 pm

Just curious what your original problem was? I have the same motor, and I can get it over 8mph, it idles great. Any ideas? Thanks

3. Bill Marcum

May 19, 2017 10:44 pm

Hey Guys I got a 78 -1115  inline 6 and. I'm getting 15.5 volts ac from the Sta-tor and 12.78 DC on the bat side at idle. is this right ????

4. lonefoxilluminus

May 19, 2017 10:44 pm

Hi, I'm trying to diagnose a problem with a 1986 – 75hp Mariner the starter turns over but engine doesn't start.
    While turning over I am reading the following….
    From Stator
    R/W – 15v
    B/W – 70v
    Red – 15v
    Blue – 70v

From Switchbox
    0.06 v on all 4 terminals.

Spark plug tester inline is flashing very faintly.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. What voltages should I expect to be seeing when the engine is trying to turn over ?

5. Greg Grundel

May 19, 2017 10:44 pm

I have a Mariner Magnum 40 hp. If 1&2 cyl. are only reading 20+/- and 3&4 are 200 +/- would it be a bad switch box?

6. ShipShape Marine

May 19, 2017 10:44 pm

A faulty rectifier will cause the battery not to charge and the tachometer not to read your RPM. On most motors that is all the rectifier does. A faulty stator will also cause the battery not to charge and also the engine not to fire. Thanks Larry ShipShape Marine 615-459-7202

May 19, 2017 10:44 pm

What problems can a bad rectifier cause. Isn't it just for charging bats?

8. ShipShape Marine

May 19, 2017 10:44 pm

If you have spark, that means that the DVA output to the coil is good. When you do not have spark at the plug you can use a DVA meter to isolate the defective part, Coil, Pack, Stator or even Rectifier. Thanks