Marvel Comics: The Defenders Explained

1. Kaifyre01 Gaming Reviews and Stuff

December 21, 2016 4:22 am

When I found out that Doctor Strange and Hulk were members of the Defenders, I must admit, I was sceptical. I originally thought of the defenders as a darker version of the Avengers, with characters such as: Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, and Punisher, not Ex-Avengers

2. Adam Azri

December 21, 2016 4:22 am

Daredevil: "So, how do you guys got your powers?"
    Jessica Jones: "Accident"
    Daredevil: "Me too!"
    Luke Cage: "Experiment"
    Iron Fist: "Punched a fucking dragon in the heart"
    Daredevil: "……"
    Jessica Jones:"………."
    Luke Cage:"………………."

3. Jose Velez-Martinez

December 21, 2016 4:22 am

Man, you did a great job managing to go over a team with a 40+ year history in under 20 minutes…very good stuff. I've ALWAYS been a Defenders fan (one of my first comics as a kid was an issue of the Defenders/Avengers war). For me, the Defenders worked best around the 80-110 mark of the first series. It was full of supernatural enemies and took on a pretty dark tone with the sacrafice of Nighthawk. I think the Netflix Defenders will be good for the characters in it. Over all, I think Defenders needs to either be about dark supernatural events OR a street level team with street level characters…there is no middle ground, otherwise it would be the same as EVERY other Marvel super hero team. Just my 2 cents. Thanks again and keep the vids coming.

4. DarthAlphaTheGreat

O, Megatron!

5. Art1966

December 21, 2016 4:22 am

I appreciate citing Claremont's X-men as an inspiration for the Defenders, It's a shame that the Defenders came first. By a couple of years I think.

6. Epic: Music Videos

December 21, 2016 4:22 am

While not the same members, actually the concept of the original Defenders comic and the upcoming Netflix series is the same, introduce a team that will essentially be like the Avengers but in a smaller scale
    (Plus having Hulk and Doctor Strange in a TV show, that can't be done, specially with the famous, probably high paid actors they have for both characters in the MCU)
    And on a side note: If you're not excited to see Daredevil, Jessica Jones (Who I admit, didn't knew at all before the show, but now I do and read her Alias comics) and the heroes for hire themselves, Iron Fist and Luke Cage, working together in live-action, I question your status as a marvel fan 😛 (Just joking btw, before anyone gets "triggered")

7. Henri-Ansel Vallee

December 21, 2016 4:22 am

Dr strange could show up in the show, the actor isn't above being involved with television series

8. Eris123451

December 21, 2016 4:22 am

Sounds like a complete Turkey, any resemblance to defenders living or dead is entirely coincidental, comics are starting to eat themselves again, why even bother using the name ?

9. Dave Thundercloud

thanks for the info

10. SleptOn

December 21, 2016 4:22 am

Seems like a complicated story

11. Ryan McGrath

December 21, 2016 4:22 am

Greenwich Village is not pronounced "Green Witch" but "Grenitch".

12. Ronnie Ward

December 21, 2016 4:22 am

well someone make a video of darkhawk..they should bring him back and give him a. big push.he was cool as ….

13. needles1987

December 21, 2016 4:22 am

This is not the Defenders line-up I want. They should just be called Heroes For Hire instead.

14. Chetali Harrell-Morris

December 21, 2016 4:22 am

you should do a video on heroes for hire thars what this defenders team is

15. Jason Slade

December 21, 2016 4:22 am

The Defenders as a "B-Tier Avengers" is really not very useful, in the sense that we don't need another team that features high octane over the top action scenes and crazy super powers. Avengers already does that. X-Men already does that.

Going with a more "down to earth" approach with Defenders makes perfect sense.

16. Tamerlane Villanos

December 21, 2016 4:22 am

Worst team in MARVEL. The TV show team makes more sense than any previous incarnations. Thanks for the explanation.

17. Maarek Steele

December 21, 2016 4:22 am

yandroth looks like lex luthor

18. Rockart9

December 21, 2016 4:22 am

Personally I don't think the Netflix Defenders have anything to do with comics Defenders. I think it stands on its own. Matt Murdock, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Danny Rand have never been a team though they have collaborated and worked together. Luke Cage and Iron Fist were in Heroes for Hire.

Matt is at the center of it. Luke Cage is probably the closest person to Matt. Its Luke Cage who introduces Matt Murdock to Jessica Jones when she's falsely accused of murder. Matt was her lawyer and she at one point had the hots for him. She'd continue working with him after her trial as a private eye and a bodyguard when Matt gets outed to the press as DD. Matt is put to jail and its Iron Fist who actually takes on the suit as DD to dispel the rumors that Matt is really DD (though Matt isn't aware of it). Matt busts out of prison with the help of the Punisher and goes into hiding while Danny continues fighting crime as DD. A lot of shit happens to Matt and he goes into a downward spiral resulting in him taking over leadership of the Hand. This is actually the point where they band together to stop DD who is slowly losing himself to the control of The Beast (though I think Jessica was MIA because she was pregnant with Luke's baby). The height of that is Shadowland. New Avengers picks up after that and Matt has had time to sort out the events of Shadowland. But he can't forgive himself for what he's done. And its Luke and Jessica who welcomes him back with open arms after he saves their baby. Its also the point where Matt officially becomes an Avenger. These 4 are connected because they feel like family in the comics… one big dysfunctional family.

19. Paul Quaife

December 21, 2016 4:22 am

1 connection from comic books to Netflix show, you mentioned hell cat was part of the defenders at 1 point, she is in Jessica Jones, well kinda. I'm sure Tricia will become hell cat at some point

20. ehatten73

December 21, 2016 4:22 am

Great job Rob, I really enjoy this type of video in regards to the history of Marvel comics.

21. defuse56

December 21, 2016 4:22 am

To me, the bummer is that the Netflix series (unless I'm missing something) won't have Dr. Strange. He was the original basis for the Defenders after all! No matter how many shifts in the multiverse, etc. take place, Strange,to me, should have canonical authority. But who cares what an ancient comics fan likes me thinks, lol? :-)

22. Mike Jones

I can see Netflix using the movie Doctor Strange for are The Defenders

23. yojimarusilverfang

December 21, 2016 4:22 am

10:55 Oh wow… thanks to that cover, I managed to track down a series I remember buying an issue of as a child, Darkhawk. I couldn't remember much of anything about it save the armor design and the pendants.

24. Sqor Geek

December 21, 2016 4:22 am

Would you be able to do a video on Moon Knight?

25. Sqor Geek

I love this channel!

26. FirelyGrim

December 21, 2016 4:22 am

This makes me wonder if Dr Strange is going to have a Defenders cameo or something in his movie or something about Daredevil in his movie

27. superhandsomepig

December 21, 2016 4:22 am

mind altering substances? just say LSD

28. Raul Mejia

December 21, 2016 4:22 am

I got lost halfway through the video lol

29. Bestn8ivealive

December 21, 2016 4:22 am

If they're not in infinite wars. I'll be pissed

30. Diabolik771

December 21, 2016 4:22 am

The art was horrible on those Secret Defenders, no wonder they failed.